We are currently seeking submissions for our February 2016 issue - 'In The Wake of the Rising' - guest edited by Sean O'Reilly. The deadline for submissions is August 14, 2015. We will not be accepting any other work in this time.
Please read Sean's editorial statement before submitting work.
What We Publish
We publish new, previously unpublished work by Irish and international writers. We have a particular interest in promoting the short story. Each issue also includes a mix of poetry, book reviews and essays, alongside occasional author interviews and novel extracts. We also welcome submissions of poetry and prose in translation.
How To Submit
Work submitted should ideally not be under consideration elsewhere.
For our Rising issue, the postal address for submissions is: Sean O'Reilly, 'In The Wake of the Rising', The Stinging Fly, PO Box 6016, Dublin 1, Ireland.
Each submission should include an e-mail address for reply. Please ensure that you keep a copy of the work itself as we are unable to return manuscripts.
All submissions should be accompanied by a cover letter, which should include:
* Author’s Name * E-mail address and postal address
* Date of Submission * Name of story/poems submitted
* Brief biographical note, if you wish.
Anyone submitting fiction and poetry should include a separate cover letter for both. All fiction submissions should be printed using 1.5 or double line spacing. Minimum font size: 11pt. Print on one side of the page only. Every piece of work should have the author’s name printed or signed on it.
* No more than one story and/or four poems should be submitted during any one submission period.
* Short stories and poems should always be just as long (or as short) as they need to be. (In our Winter 2012-13 issue the longest story is over 5,000 words; the shortest has less than 600.)
* All submissions are read. The editors’ decision may not be correct but it is final. We will aim to contact everyone who submitted work by October 14, 2015.
* With a limited budget, we are only in a position to offer contributors a discretionary token payment. They also receive a copy of the issue in which their work is featured and can order further copies at a discounted rate.
* Copyright remains in all cases with the author. Some work published in the magazine may also be included on our website.
Our Featured Poets
In each issue we publish a number of poems by a poet who is working towards a first collection. To be considered, please send us 6-10 previously unpublished poems. If we want to see more, we will get back to you. If submitting for this slot, do not make a separate poetry submission.
Please note that there will no featured poet for the February 2016 issue.
Is í ‘Comhchealg’ cuid Ghaeilge The Stinging Fly. Cuirtear fáilte roimh phíosaí Gaeilge ó scríbhneoirí úra. Is nós linn aistriúcháin Bhéarla a chur ar fáil i gcás na ndánta a roghnaítear. Chuige sin, déanaimid filí Béarla a chur ag obair ar shaothar a gcomhúdar. Leantar na treoirlínte iarratais thuas a bhaineann le filíocht Bhéarla.
The Stinging Fly
PO Box 6016
stingingfly [at] gmail.com
'In the Wake of the Rising' submission enquiries: inthewakeoftherising2016 [at] gmail.com
To keep up to date with the latest news on publishing opportunities, creative writing workshops, and author readings and events, we recommend you join our mailing list...